- Michael Laposata, MD, PhD, Edward and Nancy Fody Professor and Executive Vice Chair of Pathology, Pathologist-in-Chief, Vanderbilt University Hospital, Professor of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
A complete full-color guide to selecting the correct laboratory test and interpreting the results –- covering the entire field of clinical pathology
A Doody’s Core Title ESSENTIAL PURCHASE for 2011!
“The editor and authors are well respected in their fields of expertise – this is an all-star cast….This book nicely fills the gap between comprehensive clinical laboratory science texts and the traditional and well-recognized, definitive laboratory medicine texts….It would be perfect for medical students and practicing physicians and it would be a perfect companion textbook for those teaching laboratory medicine in a medical school curriculum. 3 Stars.”–Doody’s Review Service
Laboratory Medicine is the most comprehensive, user-friendly, and well-illustrated guide available for learning how to order the correct laboratory test and understand the clinical significance of the results. The book features an easy-to-follow, consistent presentation for each disease discussed. Chapters begin with a brief description of the disorder followed by a discussion that includes tables detailing the laboratory evaluation of specific disorders, diagnosis, baseline tests to exclude diagnostic possibilities, and clinical indications that warrant further screening and special testing.
With new, increasingly expensive and complicated tests appearing almost daily, Laboratory Medicine is required reading for students and physicians who want to keep abreast of the latest testing procedures and maximize accuracy and patient safety.
- 36 clinical laboratory methods presented in easy-to-understand illustrations that include information on the expense and complexity of the assays
- More than 200 tables and full-color algorithms that encapsulate important information and facilitate understanding
- Full-color blood-smear micrographs that demonstrate common abnormal morphologies of red blood cells
- Valuable learning aids in each chapter, including learning objectives, chapter outlines, and a general introduction
- Logical systems-based organization that complements most textbooks
- 13-page table of Clinical Laboratory Reference Values that show the conversions between U.S. and SI units for each value
Coverage that spans ALL of clinical pathology:
Concepts in Laboratory Medicine; Methods, Autoimmune Disorders Involving the Connective Tissue and Immunodeficiency Diseases; Histocompatibility Testing and Transplantation; Infectious Diseases; Toxicology, Diseases of Infancy and Childhood; Blood Vessels; The Heart; Diseases of Red Blood Cells; Bleeding and Thrombotic Disorders; Transfusion Medicine; Diseases of White Blood Cells, Lymph Nodes, and Spleen; The Respiratory System; The Gastrointestinal Tract; The Liver and Biliary Tract; Pancreatic Disorders; The Kidney; Male Genital Tract; Female Genital System; Breast; The Endocrine System.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!