- Dee Unglaub Silverthorn, Ph.D., University of Texas, Austin
Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach broke ground with its thorough coverage of molecular physiology seamlessly integrated into a traditional homeostasis-based systems approach. The newly revised Sixth Edition introduces a major reorganization of the early chapters to provide the best foundation for the course and new art features that streamline review and essential topics so that students can access them more easily on an as-needed basis.
Recognized as an extraordinary educator and active learning enthusiast, Dr. Silverthorn incorporates time-tested classroom techniques throughout the book and presents thorough, up-to-date coverage of new scientific discoveries, biotechnology techniques, and treatments of disorders. Dr. Silverthorn also co-authored the accompanying Student Workbook and Instructor Manual, ensuring that these ancillaries reinforce the pedagogical approach of the book.
New to this Edition
- Chapters 1-6 have been overhauled with a new approach using new Review and Essentials art features to help streamline the material and focus students on what they need to review, or the big picture key concepts.
- NEW! Review features visually pull together basic concepts students need to review for the course.
- NEW! Essentials features pull together the core foundational concepts students need for each chapter.
- Biotechnology, Clinical Focus, and Emerging Concepts Boxes have been updated and/or revised to reflect changes in the science.
- All of the phenomenal media accompanying Silverthorn is now centralized and enhanced in MasteringA&P®:
- Study Area features the self-study review and interactive materials from The Physiology Place.
- NEW! PhysioEx™ 9.0 is fully online and is integrated within MasteringA&P.
- NEW! Reading Quizzes and Chapter test questions are integrated into MasteringA&P as “pre-lecture” and “post-lecture” assessment.
- NEW! Art Activities for new Essentials figures and other important art are incorporated into every chapter, many with detailed hints and feedback.
- NEW! Clinical case studies test deeper understanding of real-world cases.
- Interactive concept maps with assessment
- A&P Flix™ and select BioFlix® are incorporated into MasteringA&P.
- Test Bank Questions in Mastering correlate with the current Learning Objectives found in the Student Workbook.
- The book design has been revised to make this edition more student friendly by helping students better recognize the most important concepts and processes to master.
- Selected chapter figures that benefit from being grouped together now appear in the new Review or Essentials figures.
- New Running Problems cover researching the literature (chapter 1), the human papillomavirus and cervical cancer (chapter 24) and cholera in Haiti (chapter 21).
- Four chapters on Integrative Physiology (chapters 6, 13, 20, and 25) demonstrate how physiological processes work together in an integrated system. These chapters also explore how body systems influence each other and show that overall systems are often more complicated than the sum of their component parts.
- Interactive pedagogy encourages students to assess their knowledge as they read rather than waiting until the end of the chapter:
- Background Basics sections at the beginning of each chapter encourage students to revisit and review topics for the upcoming chapter.
- Concept Links (signaled with white and blue chain link symbols) help students locate material they need to review.
- Concept Checks are placed at intervals throughout the chapters and ask students to test their understanding before continuing to the next topic.
- Figure and graph questions promote analytical skills by encouraging students to interpret data and information.
- Running Problems appear in segments throughout each chapter and require students to apply what they have learned to a real life pathophysiology case study.
- The end-of-chapter, four-level learning system helps build student confidence and understanding by progressing from factual questions to conceptual problems, and from these, to analytical exercises to quantitative questions.
- Superb art program features:
- Anatomy Summaries show the anatomy of a physiological system from a macro to micro perspective.
- Reflex pathway maps and concept maps present material in a logical, consistent, and easy-to-navigate format.
- Coordinated feature boxes provide relevance and enhance students’ understanding of “hot topics.” These include Clinical Focus (featuring several discussions on Diabetes), Biotechnology, and Emerging Concepts boxes.
- Powerful instructor supplements include a comprehensive Instructor Resource DVD with A&P Flix™ animations in 3D that cover key physiological concepts and invigorate classroom lectures, Lecture Outlines, Active Lecture Questions, Physiology Review Quiz Show Games, all book art in PowerPoint®, and more.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!