- Lela Buckingham, PhD, MB, DLM (ASCP), Unit Director, Molecular Oncology, Department of Pathology, Rush Medical Laboratories, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois
This exceptional resource introduces the fundamentals of nucleic acid biochemistry as well as the advanced concepts integral to professional practice in today’s laboratories. With a focus on the application of molecular concepts to diagnose diseases, the 2nd Edition reflects the many advances in this rapidly developing field.
Inside, you’ll find in-depth explanations of the principles of molecular-based assays as well as reference material and trouble-shooting tips for the laboratory. Discussions of general diagnostic procedures reflect the continuing emergence of new diagnostic technologies to prepare you to meet the challenges of the future.
“I would like to say that once published the second edition of ‘Molecular Diagnostics’ would be a significant addition to the advancing science of molecular diagnostics. It would serve the multi-purpose of a textbook and a reference guide as well as troubleshooter. I can imagine it would be equally admired by the educator, student and scientist.”
- Fundamentals, methods and clinical applications of molecular are covered all in one book.
- A wealth of line drawings, flow-charts, and photographs enhance comprehension of the concepts presented in the text.
- Coverage of the application of molecular diagnostics to the clinical laboratory encompasses microbiology, virology, genetics, oncology, and human identification.
- Advanced Concepts are presented in boxes throughout the text to challenge those readers interested in learning the fine details.
- Historical Highlights provide valuable background and origin information to foster an understanding of the topics.
- Case Studies encourage students to apply molecular concepts to diagnostic testing and provide real-world insight into what to expect when working in the laboratory.
- Key Terms are bolded and defined within the text where they first appear.
- Study Questions at the end of each chapter reinforce the content. Answers, included in the appendix, allow for self assessment outside of the classroom.
New to this Edition
- NEW! Glossary and additional problem-based Study Questions.
- NEW! Color images on the inside book covers show the results of tests interpreted by distinguishing color differences, such as FISH and Sanger sequencing.
- UPDATED! Case Studies in the book and additional case studies online at DavisPlus.
- UPDATED! More automated methods incorporated in the Methods section of the book.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!