- Julian Seifter
- Austin Ratner
- David Sloane
Written through a collaboration of expert faculty and medical students from Harvard Medical School, this innovative text delivers a straightforward and clear overview of the major principles, agents, and processes governing human physiology. Emphasis is on understanding the higher-order processes in each organ system. Concepts in Medical Physiology avoids long lists of unprioritized information and undefined jargon by presenting fresh concept diagrams and figures alongside clear explanations of quantitative concepts. It can function equally well as a primary resource or as a review. Eight major sections, comprising a total of 36 chapters, cover general principles, muscle and bone, blood and the immune system, cardiovascular physiology, pulmonary physiology, renal physiology, gastrointestinal physiology, and endocrine physiology.
Many useful features simplify mastery of difficult concepts:
- Case studies for each major section present detailed cases with signs and symptoms, history, and laboratory data. Questions at the conclusion of each case reinforce important clinical concepts.
- Reviews of cell biology, basic science, and biochemistry refresh students on the foundations of physiological knowledge.
- Clinical Application boxes draw the connection between physiology to practical issues students face and help with preparation for the USMLE.
- Pathophysiology sections are featured in every chapter.
- Review questions with answers in each chapter aid in preparation for the examination.
- Integrative Physiology inserts highlight how specific systems, organs, and tissues work together.
- More than 350 illustrations aid with visual learning, including original schematic diagrams, photos, and tables.
- Concept-focused summaries conclude each chapter for more effective learning and review.
- Suggested readings in every chapter provide a valuable resource for further investigation in physiological and clinical ideas.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!