- Judith E Thompson RPh, MS University of Wisconsin–Madison, School of Pharmacy, Center for Health Sciences, Madison, WI
- Lawrence Davidow PhD
Now in its Third Edition, this succinct, easy-to-use, current, and very functional handbook goes through the steps of receiving the prescription, preparing it, and completing the compound. The book provides a source for contemporary practice previously found spread out over journal articles, legal documents, standards of practice, specialty books, and textbooks.
Highlights of this edition include a more comprehensive section on sterile dosage forms and their preparation; expanded discussion of medication errors; processing tools for improving compounded preparations and reducing errors; a new chapter on systems of measurement and basic pharmaceutical calculations; and a new section on veterinary pharmacy practice. Patient cases with the sample compounded prescription orders and parenteral preparation medication orders show typical situations and problem-solving to meet special therapy and patient needs.
A back-of-book CD-ROM includes study guides, interactive self-assessment, and multimedia demonstrations of compounding procedures for key chapters. A companion website offers the CD content as well as full text online and an image bank.
- NEW!: Highlight color added to heighten book’s visual appeal
- NEW!: More added features on back-of-book CD-ROM
- NEW! Creation of a separate and more comprehensive section (Part 6, “Sterile Dosage Forms and Their Preparation,” composed of Chapters 32-35) on sterile dosage forms and their preparation, with emphasis on new standards and processes in USP Chapter <797> Pharmaceutical Compounding—Sterile Preparations.
- NEW! Expanded discussion of medication errors, together with prescribing and dispensing practices that have been shown to improve patient medication safety.
- NEW! Inclusion of processing tools such as master control and compounding records, standard operating procedures, and quality control tests that are now standards of practice because they can improve our compounded preparations and reduce errors.
- NEW! Addition of a chapter (Chapter 7) containing instruction on proper use of metric (SI) symbols and units of measurement, temperature and density conversions, use of significant figures, and basic methods for pharmaceutical calculations.
- NEW! Patient cases with the sample compounded prescription orders and parenteral preparation medication orders to show typical situations and problem-solving to meet special therapy and patient needs.
- NEW! Addition of a section (Part 7) on the important specialty area of veterinary pharmacy practice.
Outline format makes it easy to find important information.
Note: Only Gold member can download this ebook. Learn more here!